Jay Paul Co.’s 70-story development topped off last December and is expected to open by the end of this year, as the tallest mixed-use building on the West Coast and San Francisco’s first pre-certified LEED Platinum mixed-use property. The project encompasses some 3,000 square feet of retail space, 128,000 square feet dedicated to multifamily use (67 luxury condominiums on the top 17 floors), and 435,000 square feet of Class A office space, which is now entirely leased to Facebook. This deal reportedly marks Frisco’s largest office lease since the 714,000-square-foot Salesforce deal in 2014.
Luxurious in seemingly every respect, the Heller Manus Architects-designed tower features:
- a state-of-the-art, sawtooth-pattern exoskeleton;
- floor-to-ceiling windows for light-abundant, column-free floor plates;
- a water recycling system, which captures, treats and reuses rainwater and greywater;
- bike storage and car parking available to commercial tenants;
- 7th-floor sky-bridge connection to the Transbay Transit Center elevated park, offering excellent connectivity to the entire Bay Area.
They Grow Out of Silicon Valley so Fast
Jamil Walker, a Facebook spokesman, stated for SFGate that “with this lease, we’ve obtained the space we need at 181 Fremont to support our growth.”
Employees from all over the Bay Area currently commute by car or company-run shuttle service to Facebook’s Menlo Park 20-building headquarters campus, which has already exceeded 1 million square feet and continues to expand. The new Yerba Buena office location will surely ease a lot of commutes.
Although it is not yet clear how many employees will be operating out of 181 Fremont, the space leased on floors 5 through 38 is estimated to accommodate up to 3,000 people. Jamil Walker also stated that, “while Instagram’s headquarters will remain in Menlo Park on Facebook’s campus, a small team from Instagram will be moving to San Francisco in early 2018.”