Founded in 1957 by Gerald D. Hines, Hines is a privately owned global real estate investment, development, and management firm. The company operates in 24 countries and has $116.4 billion of assets under management. Over the firm’s 62-year history, Hines has developed, redeveloped or acquired over 1,300 properties with a total of more than 431 million square feet of space.
The property and asset management portfolio at Hines currently includes over 224 million square feet of space from 527 properties. The firm provides integrated real estate services, investment management, and real estate development service in all asset classes.
Integrated Real Estate Services
Hines knows that anyone can invest in real estate. The firm combines its local market knowledge with its inside-out knowledge of real estate development, property management, and engineering to add value for its clients through:
- Global development – feasibility, design, pre-construction, construction, and project management.
- Acquisitions and dispositions – deal sourcing, property evaluation, market analysis, pro-forma projections, strategic planning, due diligence, financing, closing and startup.
- Asset, property and facility management – third-party property and facility management, acquisition and disposition coordination, marketing and leasing, tenant relations, comprehensive asset analysis, preventive maintenance, energy management, operating cost management, building commissioning, project redevelopment, construction management, capital expenditure forecasting, benchmarking and market analysis.
- Conceptual construction – product innovation, continuous improvement, multifaceted perspective, quality and efficiency.
Real Estate Development
The real estate development projects from Hines have a history of setting standards for success in every market and asset class that the firm operates. The company’s skill at value engineering consistently brings development projects in, at, or below budget.
In addition to financial returns, real estate development projects from Hines always seek to improve the cities they’re located in and pioneer new practices for sustainability. Recent development projects from Hines include:
- Salesforce Tower in San Francisco with over 1.4 million square feet of space,
- 609 Main at Texas in Houston with over 1 million square feet of space,
- 300 North LaSalle in Chicago with nearly 1.3 million square feet of space,
- 800 Fifth Avenue in Seattle with over 930,000 square feet of space,
- Atlantic Yards in Atlanta with 500,000 square feet of space.
Over its more than 60-year history, Hines has developed investment management experience in all property asset classes:
- Living / Housing
- Industrial / Logistics
- Land development
Since 1991 the firm has sponsored 57 strategic investment funds and numerous one-time investment vehicles with more than $49 billion of total equity. Hines’ current investment partners include over 185 institutional investors, more than 600 high net worth individuals, and over 120,000 retail investors.
The firm pursues opportunities across the full risk-and-reward spectrum of core, value-add, and opportunistic investments. Investment vehicles are designed to match the objectives of Hines’ partners and include joint ventures, REITs, individual accounts, and both open- and closed-end comingled funds.
All the investments Hines manages are guided by:
- Alignment of interests,
- Local expertise,
- Proprietary research,
- Hands-on execution.
Sustainability, Diversity, and Inclusion
Trained as a mechanical engineer, Gerald D. Hines has always believed that sustainability should be at the forefront of the company’s activity. The firm operates over 69 million square feet of space that has been certified, pre-certified, or registered under LEED. Nearly 78 million square feet are in the ENERGY STAR program, and over 30 million square feet of office space are in the Hines Green Office for Tenants program.
With offices in 24 countries staffed by over 4,000 people, Hines understands that diverse skills and viewpoints make the firm stronger and better equipped to serve its investors, partners, clients, and communities. The OneHines initiative supports an inclusive culture under which all employees feel valued and have equal opportunity to reach their maximum potential.
The goal of the OneHines Women’s Network is to attract more women into the field of commercial real estate and increase female leadership at Hines. The Network started as a grassroots effort and evolved informally before being embraced by the Executive Committee at Hines.
Hines at a Glance
Philosophy: Hines operates under five guiding principles:
1) Set the global real estate benchmark for value creation, integrity, services, and quality for all clients,
2) Highest standard for products and services to accomplish the mission,
3) Employees are the firm’s most valuable assets and set the standard of excellence at Hines,
4) Commitment to fostering an inclusive culture where diversity is respected and valued,
5) Strive to be the industry leader in sustainability and the premier real estate company in the world.
Launched: as a one-man office in Houston, in 1957, by Gerald D. Hines.
Global Headquarters and World Markets: Houston is the home of Hines’ Global Headquarters. The firm has its European Headquarters in London and its Asian Pacific Headquarters in Hong Kong. Hines has a presence in 207 cities in 24 countries around the world including all regions of the USA, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, Panama, Russia, and South Korea.
Key Executive Management at Hines
With an average Executive Committee member tenure of over 25 years, the executive management team at Hines provides experienced and trustworthy leadership:
- Gerald D. Hines – Chairman
- Jeffrey C. Hines – President & CEO
- Laura Hines-Pierce – Transformation Officer
Office of Investments and Central Leadership
- Hastings Johnson – Vice Chairman
- Keith H. Montgomery – Chief Financial Officer
- David L. Steinbach – Global Chief Investment Officer
- Christopher D. Hughes – CEO, Capital Markets
- Thomas D. Owens – Chief Risk Officer
- Sherri W. Schugart – CEO, Core Fund, REIT & BDC Group