San Diego, CA Office Overview
Among sunny San Diego’s most prosperous commercial real estate scenes are the Central City, Central Coast, Downtown Business District and South Bay submarkets. With a metropolitan population of over 3.3 million people, the economy is dynamic and robust, and the San Diego commercial real estate market continues to expand around a vibrant mix of business and industry.
As of mid-2017, the Greater San Diego office market encompasses nearly 61 million square feet of existing office space in properties larger than 50,000 square feet. Due to the city's unique geographic location between Southern California and Mexico, the market continues to see strong demand.
San Diego, CA Office Inventory Description
The city's Pacific Coast location and proximity to Mexico plays a major role in the culture of the business community and office property development. Nearly 60% of the office space in San Diego is Class A, while Class B office properties make up another 39% of San Diego's office inventory.
Located along the I-8 and Friars Road, the Mission Valley East office scene is one of San Diego’s densest markets and home to Pacific Center I & II, and the Centerside 3111 & 3131 office properties. Businesses such as General Dynamics and First American Title Insurance Company are located in Mission Valley.
Other growing San Diego office submarkets include the Kearny Mesa area, Rancho Bernardo commercial real estate along the I-15 South, and the Scripps Ranch area, which is home to trophy office buildings such as the Scripps Corporate Plaza.
San Diego, CA Green Office Space
Of the Top 30 Green Office Markets in the U.S., San Diego ranks 19th for energy efficient office buildings. While just over 3% of the office buildings larger than 50,000 square feet are LEED Certified, over 6% rank as Energy Star Certified and over 8% are recognized as green buildings.
As both tenants and investors seek out green certified assets to complete their portfolios, the green office trend continues to accelerate. According to the most recent report from the San Diego U.S. Green Building Council, there are nearly 600 LEED-certified Projects with a total of more than 59 million square feet of space in the San Diego metropolitan area.
The 2017 National Green Building Adoption Index looked at commercial office properties in 30 major U.S. markets and found that, including EPA Energy Star-labeled buildings, the percentage of green certification has increased, from just under 5% in 2005 to 38% as of mid-2017. San Diego has most recently placed 19th on this survey.
San Diego, CA's Top Office-Using Sectors
Major users of San Diego office space include the defense & military, tourism, international trade and technology & manufacturing industries. This diverse mix of business combined with a growing number of small businesses and start-up companies continue to attract both national and global office investors, contributing to the San Diego area's nearly $220 billion in annual gross metropolitan product.
- Defense & Military – San Diego is home to a deep-water seaport that includes the only major submarine and shipbuilding yard on the West Coast. Defense contractors such as General Atomics, Cubic, and NASSCO are headquartered here and contribute to the demand for Class A office space in San Diego.
- Tourism – With over 34 million annual visitors spending $1 billion tourism plays a major role in the San Diego economy and job market, with Marriott International and Club Med North America located in the city.
- International Trade – With its commercial seaport and prime location relative to Mexico international trade companies play a significant role in the demand for San Diego office space, such as Mitchell International and UTC Aerospace Systems.
- Technology – San Diego is home to technology companies such as Qualcomm, Nokia, LG Electronics, and Kyocera International.
San Diego Demographics
- Total Population1,390,966
- Male Population(50.3 %) 700,029
- Female Population(49.7 %) 690,937
- Median Age34.30
- Average Household Income$98,632
- Median Household Income$71,535
- Median Income Under 25$37,044
- Median Income 25-44$76,517
- Median Income 45-64$84,087
- Median Income Over 65$53,598
- Bankers Hill - Park West Demographics
- Bay Ho Demographics
- Bernardo Springs Demographics
- Birdland Demographics
- Carmel Mountain Demographics
- Carmel Valley Demographics
- College Area Demographics
- Core - Columbia Demographics
- East Village Demographics
- Grantville Demographics
- Hillcrest Demographics
- Kearny Mesa Demographics
- Marina Demographics
- Midway Demographics
- Miramar Demographics
- Miramar Ranch Demographics
- Mission Valley East Demographics
- Mission Valley West Demographics
- Otay Mesa Demographics
- Rancho Bernardo Demographics
- Sabre Springs Demographics
- Scripps Ranch Demographics
- Serra Mesa Demographics
- Sorrento Valley Demographics
- Torrey Highlands Demographics
- Torrey Hills Demographics
- Torrey Pines Preserve Demographics
- University City Demographics
2019 US Office Pipeline – NYC, the Bay Area and San Francisco Set to Deliver 33 MSF of Office Space
April 10, 2019
Since 2009, the U.S. economy has had more than 110 consecutive months of growth, making this the second longest economic expansion since the Great Depression. After a rather tepid 2017 performance, the U.S. office market gathered some steam in 2018, adding 76 million square feet of new office sp...
2018 California Office Sales Report—LA, SF on Cooldown, Stability in the Bay Area and Orange County Markets
March 18, 2019
More than 55MSF changed hands across California office markets in 2018, totaling over $20B in sales. Cooler trends prevailed, as sales slowed and markets saw more stability throughout the year. Development was driven by the tech sector and construction is decidedly getting greener.
7 Inspiring US Coworking Concepts
February 13, 2019
In an increasingly entrepreneurial economy, flexible workspace has grown rapidly to account for one third of office leasing in the last year and a half. Check out these 7 unique U.S. coworking spaces and brands that still stand out and inspire!