South Gate, CA Economic Overview
South Gate is part of the Los Angeles County economic area, and is just seven miles southeast of Downtown Los Angeles. Home to over 99,000 residents, this small 7.2 square mile settlement is located in the Gateway Cities region and benefits greatly from the increase in containers processed at the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach, along with its centralized business access to the County. The commercial real estate market in South Gate is driven by the city's diverse mix of residential, commercial and industrial areas.
The area is a huge consumer market, with 10 million people, and the County conducts more than $400 billion in annual two-way trade. Moreover, South Gate has easy access to the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, as well as the Los Angeles International Airport, the country's third most active international cargo airport.
With a median household income of over $43,500/year and a growing job base of over 40,100 employees, the economy in South Gate remains strong. Income and economic growth in South Gate are consistent, as business is attracted to the city's high density and highly visible commercial and industrial locations.
South Gate, CA Commercial Real Estate Market
The success of the South Gate commercial real estate market is due to the city's ideal location for commerce, with Downtown Los Angeles, Los Angeles International Airport, and the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach all within a 20-mile radius of the city. South Gate is accessible through several major roadways, including the Long Beach and Century freeways, the main surface streets of Firestone Boulevard and Alameda Boulevard, along with an extensive freight rail system operated by Union Pacific and Pacific Railroads.
There is large commercial and industrial space available in South Gate, and nearly 1 million people living within a 5-mile radius of the city, and many of its commercial spaces can be seen by the over 212,000 cars that travel daily along the I-710 and Firestone Boulevard.
Most commercial activity in South Gate is concentrated along Tweedy Boulevard, Firestone Boulevard, El Paseo, and Hollydale.
Major commercial real estate projects in South Gate include:
- Azalea Center, a 370,000-square-foot retail project, which, with 33 shops, has created nearly 1,500 jobs
- The Crossings at Firestone, a 50,000-square-foot retail project that created about 60 jobs, in its 12 shops
- The future transit stations and mixed-use live-work developments at Firestone Boulevard & Atlantic Avenue, Century Boulevard and the I-105 freeway, and Garfield Avenue & Gardendale Avenue
- La Aldea, a mixed-use 5-story project of 90 residential units and 45,000 square feet of retail
- The Tweedy Atlantic Plaza with eight store fronts
- The Aztech Market on Long Beach Boulevard, a 6,200-square-foot, 3-story space with grocery and retail
- The Calden Court Apartments, a 216-unit multi-family project of affordable housing.
South Gate is part of the Mid-Counties industrial submarket of Los Angeles, which is home to nearly 104 million square feet of industrial inventory at a vacancy rate of less than 1%. The South Gate office market also benefits from the abundance of the Greater Los Angeles Basin, which includes nearly 305 million square feet of inventory, with a total vacancy rate of less than 14%, while retail inventory boasts an overall vacancy rate of less than 6%, with over 474 million square feet of space in the market.
South Gate, CA Commercial Inventory Breakdown
Total: 5,923,489 SF
By square footage range:
- 50k to 100k SF: 1,224,258 SF / 20.67% of total industrial
- 100k to 500k SF: 4,699,231 SF / 79.33% of total industrial
- Class A: 1,031,323 SF / 17.41% of total industrial
- Class B: 3,384,366 SF / 57.13% of total industrial
- Class C: 1,507,800 SF / 25.45% of total industrial
Office Spaces with Retail
Total: 1,143,887 SF
By square footage range:
- 50k to 100k SF: 173,867 SF / 15.2% of total office with retail
- 100k to 500k SF: 970,020 SF / 84.8% of total office with retail
Employment in South Gate, CA
Job growth in South Gate has increased nearly 2%, with an unemployment rate of just under 7%. Over 53% of the labor force works in the areas of administrative, sales, production, material moving, and transportation.
Major employers in South Gate include Koos Manufacturing, JH Hunt Transportation, Wal-Mart, Shultz Steel Company, Saputo Cheese USA, Sam's Club, AG Adriano Goldschmied, Curacao, Marshall’s, and Buddy Bar Casting Corporation.
Education in South Gate, CA
Public education in South Gate is provided by the Los Angeles Unified School District. The District operates 13 primary schools, two middle schools, and three high schools. There are also two private parochial schools in South Gate.
Community colleges near South Gate include Compton, Cerritos, and East Los Angeles. There are three universities near the city: California State University - Dominguez Hills, California State University - Long Beach, and California State University - Los Angeles.
Commuting Time in South Gate, CA
The commute time in South Gate is just over 29 minutes, with over 3% of the workforce having a super commute of 90 minutes or more. Over 14% of the work-day commuters carpool and just under 8% use some form of public transit.
Access to the integrated transportation systems of Los Angeles County is a boon to both residents and business in South Gate.
- The I-710 freeway and the Imperial Highway pass through South Gate.
- Metro Local and Metro Rapid provide bus service in the city.
- Freight rail service in South Gate is provided by Union Pacific and Pacific Railroads.
- South Gate is directly north of the major shipping ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.
- Los Angeles International Airport, Bob Hope Airport, and the Ontario International Airport are all near South Gate.
South Gate Demographics
- Total Population95,103
- Male Population(48.9 %) 46,470
- Female Population(51.1 %) 48,633
- Median Age31.60
- Average Household Income$63,193
- Median Household Income$50,246
- Median Income Under 25$39,500
- Median Income 25-44$51,296
- Median Income 45-64$55,066
- Median Income Over 65$36,823
The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak has halted the progress of several commercial real estate projects in New York City. One of them is the latest addition to Kaufman Astoria’s campus ― the Queens Astoria Studios Office — located at 34 36th Street. Work on the 97,000-square-foot Queens office space be...
FirmVO operates virtual and short-term rental law offices in seven major legal hubs across the country. The company’s new Broadway location is within walking distance of pretty much all New York courts.
Durst Pens Two New Leases at Midtown Office Tower
March 30, 2020
The Durst Organization has inked two new leases at its 1155 Avenue of the Americas property in Midtown Manhattan. The asking rent for the leased floors in the 790,000-square-foot office tower was $95 and $110 per square foot, according to the owner. Blockchain company R3 signed a 10-year contrac...